About Me

My photo
Welcome, my name is Sylvia Smiser. I am a self taught artist. I enjoy creating one of a kind art dolls and sculpted figures. Vintage Halloween styled artwork and Dia de los Muertos art dolls is what comes naturally to me and what I am most passionate about creating. I am a proud member of the wonderful art groups EHAG (Eclectic Halloween Artists Guild) and PFATT (Primitive Folk Art Talk & Tea). I am a participating artist at Ghoultide Gathering. I am honored to have been published in Art Doll Quarterly, Dolls magazine, Somerset Studio Gallery and Celebrate 365 Magazine. I am also a Physical Therapist and Mama to 15 year old Boy/Girl Twins. My husband is a wonderful man who is very supportive of my art and together with our two doggy fur kids we make one happy, busy family.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"Dear Aunt Gretchen", A Sweet Witch Portrait


I'd like you all to meet, "Dear Aunt Gretchen".  She is a relief sculpture on stretched canvas. Her ensemble was fashioned out of all antique textiles. 
She is my first relief portrait and I'm excited about how she turned out. 

She is also special because she was a challenge piece. You see in my hunting for genuine antique textiles to use in my pieces I met a wonderful lady, Eileen Sturm, through her ETSY stores. https://www.etsy.com/shop/AnniesAntiques

She is very generously setting up something called "Project Inspire Me".
I was very lucky to be her first challenge! 
What happens is she chooses participants then sends them antique treasures to work into a piece.  Then you send her photos of the piece you made so she can share with her listings. 

Here is what she wrote in my challenge: 


RESERVED "Challenge" for Sylvia Smiser at Anaboo Creations Only! - see the end of this listing for details on items above

Project Inspire Me Challenge: Sylvia Smiser at Anaboo Creations, www.ETSY.com/shop/AnabooCreations I challenge you to make one or more items with the lovelies in the photo's above and send me digital photo(s) within one month of to my Project Inspire Me email address at ProjectInspireMe [!at] petalannie.com

What you need to do: 
1) The challenge is accepted when you purchase the listing for the 20 cent listing fee and free shipping (don't actually pay the 20 cents, just mark your payment "Check" and I'll market it shipped) Oh, and If you are not currently a customer, you'll need to send me your full name and address.
2) Make 1 or more items with the lovelies provided above, within 1 month's time from purchasing the listing
3) Share what you make by sending me digital photo(s) of your creation(s) to my Project Inspire Me email address at ProjectInspireMe [!at] petalannie.com

What I'll do:
1. I'll hunt for lovelies in my overflowing, haven't seen daylight in years, boxes for just the right lovelies for your challenge. Some lovelies may come out of the current inventory in my shops.
2. I'll leave the current week's challenge up for 1 week ending Saturday's at midnight. If the challenge is not accepted in that time, a new challenge will be issued. 
3. I'll ship your Project Inspire Me supplies out Free of Charge (no listing fee, no shipping fee)!
4. I'll share your creations and a bit about what you do on my Project Inspire Me Facebook page when you accept the challenge and then again when you submit your pictures..
5. With your permission, I'll use your photo's as examples when I post new lovelies in my three shop, Annies Antiques, Metallic Trim Emporium, and Annies Lace Shop, with a credit to you and your shop on my listing.

Attention Artisans /Crafters, if you want to be considered for participation in the Project Inspire Me Challenge, here's what you do:
1. Send me a convo and the name of your ETSY shop or if you don't have a shop, convo me a photo of your craft and tell me a bit about what you do. I can't pull together a challenge unless I get a feeling for what will challenge you!
2. Optional, Sign into Facebook and find my Project Inspire Me page and give me a "Like"!

Highlights of items, all antique (late 1800s through 1930s):
1. The Victorian Witches Hat Applique, well that was actually a Victorian cornucopia applique, but all I could think of was "witches hat" when I looked at it - and of course, Sylvia Smiser came immediately to mind....I have a very limited amount of these appliques, they will be going into Annies Antiques shop in early October....
2. The beaded pieces in the right hand corner of the first picture are fragile but have a ghoulish look about them, you'll have to back them when you use them, or use the beads separately, really interesting pieces.....
3. The metallic string has a ghostly glow about it, it can't be pulled on so more for an embellishment rather than use to hang something with or sew with....
4. I threw in a rayon mesh from a early 1900s skirt and a piece of black millinery crinoline.....
5. Oh, and that silver beaded trim at the top, well that's gorgeous, came from a museum deaccension
6. I threw in the little orange stamens or pips as this challenge needed some color - ceramic tip

If you are interested in a challenge, I recommend you contact Eileen as her treasures are unbelievable and very inspiring. 

If you are interested in giving "Dear Aunt Gretchen" a home she will be available to purchase on the EHAG EMPORIUM which updates on HALLOWEEN NIGHT! 
Look for her at 9 PM Eastern Time October 31, 2014
on the EHAG EMPORIUM

Thanks so much for stopping by. 

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
~Sylvia


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you and the thoughts that you share...